Sunday, 30 August 2026

August 2026: Stages 147-149: Co. Cork: Midleton to Youghal

There’s a change in the weather this weekend. It's cooler and the rain has arrived. Most people are probably happy with this but not this runner as I picked up a sore throat and cold last week. I think I’m on the road to recovery though - and in any case it’s my last weekend of coastal running for 2026. 

Total distance around Ireland so far : 5,506km (3,421miles)

Raising funds for Special Schools - Saint Gabriel's, Cork. - see link below

www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/maureen-oboyle

Welcome to my Blog! You can read the story so far below. All welcome to join me on any run (or even for part of a stage) when I recommence my run next year in 2027. Taking a Winter Break now until Good Friday 26 March 2027 and then I'll continue into Co. Waterford and head up the east coast towards Wexford, Wicklow and Dublin.   

How it all began: Remember the crazy idea is to run around the whole coast of Ireland - and strictly by the COAST. Up to now I've achieved this by running once/twice/three-times a month since it all started back in Feb 2017. After completing the whole coast of  ULSTER (2017-2019), I've since run around the coast of CONNACHT (2020-2023). I'm now in the province of MUNSTER (2024-2027). I've already completed Co. Clare, Co. Limerick and Co. Kerry. Since March 2026 I've been tackling the coast of Co. Cork (as per planned stages above) See also earlier blogs for full story since the very beginning of this adventure. In the past, my run has been dedicated to Clifton Special School in Bangor, Co. Down where my son Brian attended for fourteen years. I raised £Stg3,688 for Clifton School and later €2,500 for Rosedale Special School in Galway. I'm going to continue this theme of supporting Special Schools in all four provinces in Ireland. (see Justgiving link below) and now I'm supporting Saint Gabriel's School in Cork. Also, there are still signed copies of my books available in Charlie Byrnes in Galway City or you can get a book, directly from me (where I live) in the Bangor/North Down/Ards area (free delivery). WhatsApp me on 00-44-(0) 7725613308 for more details or buy book through Amazon. All profits to Special Schools in Ireland.

Raising funds for Special Schools - see link below

www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/maureen-oboyle

If you are thinking of joining me or want more information please email me on gerry@oboyleaccounting.com or ring/text/WhatsApp me on 00 44 (0) 7725613308.

Read story so far (below) and/or donate to Special Schools www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/maureen-oboyle  

                                                                                    

Stage 147 Co. Cork: Midleton to Whitegate: Thursday 27 August 2026: 21.4km or 13.3miles

 For postal purposes should henceforth be called Midleton spelt with only one D as the peerage was recorded as ‘Viscount Midleton of Midleton in the county of Cork’. London’s Postmaster General 1845

Yes, it is a strange spelling, with only one D, but it has been that way officially for a long time. The town was previously called Corabbey and there has been a settlement here since 1180, almost 850 years ago. 

More importantly Midleton (or Corabbey) is the home of the world-famous Jameson Whiskey in the historic distillery. It’s by far the best-selling Irish whiskey in the world.

Speaking of Jameson, as I’m recovering from a cold, I could probably do with a hot whiskey (with lemon and cloves) before I start today’s adventure. Maureen and Brian drop me off in Midleton. It’s 4.30pm and the rain that is forecast for the weekend is starting to come down.

Leaving Midleton - at Nellie Cashman monument 
Before I begin though, I pause at the monument of Nellie Cashman who was born in Midleton in 1845. She emigrated to America in the 1850’s and became a gold-seeking-prospector in the Wild West. She also had a very adventurous and generous nature to her character, leading a rescue mission for 75 men lost in the Canadian Mountains. She spent 77 days in the wilderness in harsh weather conditions.

After reading about Nellie, I cannot complain about the light drizzle I’m experiencing. I run south on the R630. 

The Pier where the ferry went across to Great Island 
At Bawnard Crossroads I take a right and head west on the coastal L3629. It’s called Rathcursey or the East Ferry Road as there used to be a ferry service from here to Great Island. It would have been a shortcut to Cobh. 

Ballynacora River in Cork Harbour

So still along the East Ferry Road
I keep hugging the coast and carry on through the townlands of Jamesbrook and Ballyvoreen. The rain eases as I arrive back on the R630.

Continuing south I take another right at Whitewell Cross (L7660) and run through Rostellan Woods where I get chatting to a man called Noel. He tells me about a walking/cycling path to run on which runs parallel to the main road and soon I arrive in Whitegate. 

Getting help from local man at Rostellan Woods
It’s the home of Ireland’s only refinery. The oil is sourced from the North Sea and from West Africa which is probably good news for Ireland, considering the war in Iran and the fact that the ‘Strait of Hormuz’ is still closed. The Oil Refinery here brought prosperity to this part of east Cork.

Great to get that shorter run done today and it’s still only 7.00pm. I repair to the Harbour View Pub for a pint of Murphy’s and some salty crisps before Maureen and Brian come to collect me.

Stage 148: Co. Cork: Shanagarry to Whitegate: Friday 28 August 2026:   46.1km or 28.6miles:

‘Questions swim round my mouth like fish. Will the sea reach Shanagarry. Could it march up our hill’ Victoria Kennefick

 Maureen, Brian and I are staying in an Airbnb in Shanagarry (Seangharrai), which literally means ‘old Garden’. Shanagarry was once the home of William Penn who lived here in Co. Cork at various times in his life. The Penns were granted land in America in 1681 from King Charles II. It amounted to 29 million acres or 45,000 square miles, so quite a big farm. William Penn then became the largest non-royal landlord in the world and named his new territory, Pennsylvania!

As I’m making my way down to the coast I’m thinking of William Penn because I read that running was his favourite sport and he often ran more than three miles (5k) from his home in Shanagarry to the local school. I arrive at Ballynamona beach. I thought I might have been able to continue south along the shore to Ballycotton, but I realise that is not possible, because of a marshy sea inlet. I come back to the beach again and run up to the main road.

So I have already clocked 10k and I’ve only reached Ballycotton. Later on, I take a few more wrong turns so all in all it’s been a tough challenge today. The good news is it’s warming up and the sun is shining.

Coastal Path at Ballycotton

I should point out that Ballycotton has a history of running and at one stage it was the running capital of Ireland. For over 40 years, there was a 10-mile run here and 156 races as part of its summer 5-mile series. However, in 2017 the organisers decided to quit while they were ahead as there were lots of issues with parking and volunteering. Also, there is only one road in and out of Ballycotton, so it was difficult to cater for everyone. 

The Black Lighthouse at Ballycotton

I spot the Lighthouse out on what’s officially called ‘The Big Island’. Very strange though that this lighthouse is painted black. There is only one other black lighthouse in Ireland at Slyne Head, Co. Galway. I spotted that one in Connemara during my coastal run in August 2022. The lighthouse here at Ballycotton was painted a dark colour to distinguish it from nearby, Capel Lighthouse which, in any case, was never used and never completed.

View from Coastal Path
I follow a beautiful cliff walk which is well maintained. So great to be able to stay so close to the coast on such a lovely morning. I had read about the wreck of the MV Alta, so my intention is to try to stay by the coast until I reach the ship. 

The MV Alta was travelling from Greece to Haiti in the Caribbean, so it was thousands of miles off course when it crashed here. It was actually a coastal runner who first spotted this wreck here back in February 2020. In October 2018 the ship had been drifting in the Atlantic Ocean for weeks. Ten sailors were rescued but the ship kept floating, taking on a life of its own as it drifted north without any crew. It was nicknamed a ‘ghost ship’ and eventually crashed here some time in 2018. 

Ballyandreen Harbour

As I get closer to Ballyandreen Bay, I can spot the wreck in the distance, so I presume I’ll come to it shortly. However, it’s further away than I realise because the coastal path winds its way into the bay. At the pier there is a sign here discouraging visitors to see the wreck. Also, there is no proper coastal path from now on and other signs are highlighting that it is private land. I take the hint and follow the country road inland.

I took the hint

After a while I come to Churchtown Post Office. I purchase two bottles of water and a yorkie bar. I had just finished my banana and bottle of water, so I needed some extra sustenance.

Just after leaving the Post Office, I make a terrible mistake by taking a road down to the coast that I presumed would loop around and return to the main road again. It didn’t! I thought then I could just stay by the shore but there were so many gorse and blackthorn bushes it was hard to find any kind of a coastal path. I ended up climbing over electric fences, going back and forth trying to find a way ahead. I ended up back at the Post Office exactly one hour later. I felt like ringing Maureen and asking her to come and collect me.

Ballycroneen Beach
 Anyway, I decide to keep going. At a crossroads I head down to the coast where I come to Ballycroneen Strand. It’s low tide now and the beach does look beautiful and of course, as I often quote ‘sand is for the feet of the runner’. I carry on and soon come to a second beach. This one is called Inch Beach. Not to be confused with Kerry’s beautiful Inch Strand - and not as pretty. Still at low tide it does look good in the afternoon sunshine. Maybe running along these two beaches cheers me up. 

Co. Cork Inch Beach 

However, I make another mistake after leaving Inch Beach. I miss the turn at a wee crossroads that would have brought me down towards Trabolgan. (I remember we were here at this Holiday Village over 20 years ago).

In some ways, missing that junction wasn’t such a bad decision. I had run/walked a lot further north than I realised and I surprised myself when I already arrived in Whitegate. Even if I had followed the road to Trabolgan I’m not sure if I would have been able to reach Roches Point by following the coast from there. Therefore, it was probably no harm that I arrived back in Whitegate. The only trouble was that I hadn’t yet reached Roches Point. I couldn’t miss that, otherwise, the ‘coastal audit committee’ would question me. So yes, I had another hilly 4k to add on to today’s 42k. 

Lighthouse Cottages at Roches Point 

Some people might have heard of Roches Point which is often mentioned in weather and shipping forecasts. The Lighthouse, established in 1817, guards the entrance to Cork Harbour. It also has a connection to two major disasters involving famous ships.

On April 1912 Titanic dropped its anchor off Roches Point rather than dock at Cobh. It was probably more of a time saving exercise not to go into Cork Harbour as the harbour is big enough and deep enough for any large ship.

Three years later, in 1915 the Lusitania sent an SOS message to the wireless station at Roches Point after it was hit with a torpedo near the Old Head of Kinsale. Unfortunately, there wasn’t enough time to help as the ship sunk in just 18 minutes. 

My support team (Maureen & Brian) meet me at Roches Point

For me Roches Point, on the edge of the Celtic Sea, was the perfect place to finish my run. Yes, it had been a very long day with a few wrong turns along the way, but this coastal adventure can be tough at times. It's never easy but nearly always achievable.     

 

Stage 149: Co. Cork: Shanagarry to Youghal: Sunday 30 August 2026: 43.6km or  27.1miles:

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago - never mind how long precisely - having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world’’ Herman Melville. Opening lines of Moby Dick which was filmed in Youghal in 1955

It is a miserable wet morning here in Co. Cork as I reluctantly venture outside. By the time I reach the coast I’m already soaked. As I did on Friday, I run down to Ballynamona Beach. I thought I could head east from here and make my way along the strand as far as Garryvoe. The only problem is its high tide and a river to my left has blocked any access to the other side of the beach. I briefly take off my shoes and socks, but I quickly realise it’s too deep to wade across; so once again I run back up the road and rejoin the R629. When I do reach Garryvoe I stick to the shore and follow a country lane with a sign that says, ‘Coastal Road’. I wish there were more signs like this one as it would make my life easier. I’m beginning to feel more positive. The rain has stopped, I’ve got the west wind behind me and I’m starting to dry out. Eventually, after about 8k I take a right at a T junction and run all the way down to Knockadoon Pier. I spot Capel Island with the lighthouse that was never used as Ballycotton had its own one (even if it was a black lighthouse).

View from Knockadoon Pier to Capel Island
On 18 December 2003 birdwatchers in this area had a special celebration when a very rare ‘Humes warbler’ was seen and heard in Knockadoon. It was the first bird of its type ever spotted in Ireland, a long way from its home in Asia.

Coastal Path from Knockadoon to Ring Beach

On the way down to the pier, I should have tried to follow a cliff path at ‘Ring crossroads’ and looped around by the signal tower (I might have to come back to do this part). At least when I reach Knockadoon harbour I’m able to follow another coastal path, heading west, which takes me to Ring Beach. Amazing to see the red rocks on the shore along here. I read that this area sits at the tip of an old red sandstone ridge that gives the rocks this striking brownish-red colour. As it happens the weather is much improved now and the sun is shining which makes the red rocks sparkle even more.

Red rocks at Knockadoon 

I leave the shore and follow the country lane west, stopping at Ballymacoda for some water. I needed the rest too as my legs are tiring. I follow the signs for Youghal, crossing over the Dissour (or Womanagh) River and run through Ballymadog Crossroads. Nothing to do with mad dogs as Madog is really a Welsh name meaning benefactor or generous.

At Clonard I take a sharp turn to the right towards Pilmore Strand. I run down to the coast, circle Saint Ita’s GAA Club pitch in the corner and then head back along the shore. I’m able to follow some coastal trails until I finally reach Youghal beach. As its low tide now, I run along the beach to the very end. This is the spot known as ‘Moll Goggins Corner’

Nearly there - can see Youghal in the distance
The legend of Moll Goggins has survived for hundreds of years. Strange that I started my Co. Cork coastal run on the Beara Peninsula in March where there was a similar lady called, ‘The Hag of Beara’ who like Moll Goggins, waited for months and then years for her lover to return. (they never do come back) Also, in the film ‘Moby Dick’ that was filmed in Youghal, I’ve seen a picture of women standing on the shore at ‘Moll Goggins Corner’ saying goodbye to their menfolk who were sailing off on a whaling ship. Youghal was depicting the Massachusetts island of Nantucket which was known as the whaling capital of the world.  

It’s always special to finish my long run on a beach. A beautiful end to my 2026 run along the County Cork coast which I measured as more than 900 kilometres. I make it the second longest coastal county in Ireland, with Donegal being number one.

On my right is the River Blackwater, which is Munster’s longest river and flows into the sea at Cuan Eochaille (Youghal Bay – translates as yew forest). The Blackwater rises in Co. Kerry and passes through the towns of Mallow and Fermoy and enters the sea at Youghal.

Youghal was a walled town probably longer than most other places. We know that because in 1275 there was mention of repairing the structure, so some of the wall is probably over 800 years old. It was completed in three stages and when the final stage was completed in 1462 it had a perimeter of 1,750 metres.

On my right is Co. Waterford but I’m not even thinking about that county right now – That’s a job for Easter 2027 when I’ll recommence my Munster and Irish adventure. Today is all about Co. Cork.

No comments:

Post a Comment