Tuesday, 14 July 2026

 July 2026: Stages 142-146: Co. Cork: Kinsale to Midleton

So warm in Cork this week. It is officially a heatwave all week, as it has been 25 degrees (and more) for the nine days we were there. As usual Maureen, Brian and I drove down on the Thursday. I think it was a wise decision of mine to break up the Carrigaline to Kinsale section into two stages, even if it did mean running on the Thursday evening. See below for full story


Total distance around Ireland so far : 5,396km (3,352miles)

Raising funds for Special Schools - see link below

www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/maureen-oboyle

Welcome to my Blog! You can read the story so far below and also see the plan ahead for August. All welcome to join me on any run, or even for part of a stage.

Stages 147: Thurs (pm) 27 August 2026: Co. Cork: Midleton to Whitegate

Stage 148: Friday (am) 28 August 2026: Co. Cork: Whitegate to Ballycotton

Not running on Saturday 29 August: Just Midleton parkrun

Stage 149: Sunday (am) 30 August 2026: Ballycotton to Youghal (Cork/Waterford border)

After this I'll take a Winter Break until Good Friday 26 March and then continue into Co. Waterford and head up the east coast towards Wexford   

How it all began: Remember the crazy idea is to run around the whole coast of Ireland - and strictly by the COAST. Up to now I've achieved this by running once/twice/three-times a month since it all started back in Feb 2017. After completing the whole coast of  ULSTER (2017-2019), I've since run around the coast of CONNACHT (2020-2023). I'm now in the province of MUNSTER (2024-2027). I've already completed Co. Clare, Co. Limerick and Co. Kerry. Since March 2026 I've been tackling the coast of Co. Cork (as per planned stages above) See also earlier blogs for full story since the very beginning of this adventure. In the past, my run has been dedicated to Clifton Special School in Bangor, Co. Down where my son Brian attended for fourteen years. I raised £Stg3,688 for Clifton School and later €2,500 for Rosedale Special School in Galway. I'm going to continue this theme of supporting Special Schools in all four provinces in Ireland. (see Justgiving link below) and now I'm supporting Saint Gabriel's School in Cork. Also, there are still signed copies of my books available in Charlie Byrnes in Galway City or you can get a book, directly from me (where I live) in the Bangor/North Down/Ards area (free delivery). WhatsApp me on 00-44-(0) 7725613308 for more details or buy book through Amazon. All profits to Special Schools in Ireland.

Raising funds for Special Schools - see link below

www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/maureen-oboyle

If you are thinking of joining me or want more information please email me on gerry@oboyleaccounting.com or ring/text/WhatsApp me on 00 44 (0) 7725613308.

Read story so far (below) and/or donate to Special Schools www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/maureen-oboyle


 Stage 142: Co. Cork: Roberts Cove to Kinsale: Thursday 9 July 2026: 35.1km or 21.8miles 

I am Jim, a man of the sea. One day, as I sat on yonder quay I saw a girl, as pretty as can be, while mending my nets in KinsalePat Lynch

Those lines from ‘Kinsale’ have been going through my head as run along the country lanes towards the town. It’s a song from 1968 which almost represented Ireland in the Eurovision Song Contest that year. It was just beaten by Barry McGuigan’s father, Pat who sang ‘Chance of a Lifetime’, which went on to finish fourth in the final.  

Starting this weeks adventure at Robert's Cove, Co. Cork

We travelled all the way from Co. Down so its 5.12pm before I start running. First, we had to find Robert’s Cove. It is called after Sir Thomas Roberts, who must had hit bad times later because in 1851 he had become ‘an insolvent debtor’

Following coastal trail at Roberts Cove

Maureen and Brian drop me off there and I follow a beautiful coastal path up a grassy hill, through a corn field and eventually to a Lookout Station. This was one of many structures that were built in the early 1800’s in the event of a French invasion - which never happened. From the Lookout I followed the coast and was beginning to field confident I could make it all the way to Rocky Bay Beach. 

Lookout at Roberts Cove
However, the terrain got tougher, the path disappeared and there was lots of gorse and thorn bushes. Even though I could see the white strand in the distance, I just knew it wasn’t worth it – so I turned back. At least it was all downhill back to Roberts Cove, and I was able to take the country lane to Rocky Bay Beach.

View of Rocky Bay Beach from coastal path 

Delighted that Maureen and Brian were still there when I arrived. Brian had been in for swim at Rocky Bay and even though it’s after 6.00pm it is still a warm evening. I even go for a paddle myself.

With Brian at Rocky Bay Beach, Co. Cork

Afterwards I’m able to loop back up the hill and continue onto Nohoval Cove’. The name nohoval or ‘nuachbhail’ translates as ‘new habitation’ probably because the area was also home to a slate mine. I feared though that this was going to be a long run down to another cove that I would have to backtrack up again. I was curious though to visit as Nohoval was mentioned as ‘10 places you must visit in Co Cork’. Such a strange but unique place, completely surrounded by rocky cliffs, nooks and alcoves. I’m not surprised at all that in January 1838 the ship, ‘PSS Killarney’ sunk off this rocky shore. The ship was on its way from Cork to Bristol but blown back against rocks. It was carrying 100 pigs on board and despite that animal cargo being dumped, it still sank. 


Nohoval Cove - 10 places you must visit in Co. Cork
I thought there might have been a path or trail on the coast that would have brought me further west along the coast. There wasn’t. Yes, I had to walk/run back up the hill again. Shortly I passed through the village of Nohoval, and I was able to take a left turn that led to a long lane as far as Oysterhaven Strand. It’s now 8.30pm but children are still swimming in the sea. 
Oysterhaven Beach, near Kinsale

It’s hard to imagine thousands of British soldiers arriving here on the beach at Oysterhaven but yes on 2 October 1601 a small army did come here and probably took the same route to Kinsale that I’m taking now. They were here to fight in ‘The Battle of Kinsale’ later in the year. See below.

I leave the beach, follow a coastal road and cross over Ballinaclashet Creek onto the L3215. Crossing the River Stick, I follow the Eastern Road (R600) which eventually leads to Kinsale.

Very happy to see this sign



Stage 142 Revisit: Ballymacus Peninsula (SE of Kinsale): Tuesday 14 July 2026: 16.2km or 10.1miles

I’m not sure if this peninsula is actually called Ballymacus, but it is situated just outside of Kinsale on the east side of the town. Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough time on Thursday night to cover this section, as I would have ended up running in the dark. So, I’m back to complete it today. Maureen drops me off along the Eastern Road at a crossroads, just outside Kinsale, called ‘Cove Crossroads’. That name makes sense as the road I’m running on heads south and leads to three different inlets, Lower Cove, Middle Cove and Summer Cove. I follow the country lane as it zigzags all the way down as far as Lower Cove.

This area has a history of skilled seamen and fishermen and two famous brothers, Timothy and Mortimer McCarthy were born in Lower Cove. They are honoured with commissioned head busts in Kinsale, and both brothers had been on Antarctic expeditions. The younger, Timothy was, not only a member of Shackleton’s Expedition on the ‘Endurance’, but he was also chosen as one of the six men who took an 800-mile boat journey from Elephant Island to South Georgia to try to get help for the 28 men crew. The Kerryman, Tom Crean was also one of the six men, so half of them on the boat (including Shackleton) were Irish born. When they finally reached South Georgia, McCarthy stayed with two men (McNeish & Vincent) on one side of the island while Shackleton, Crean and Worsley crossed a mountainous terrain to reach a whaling station on the other side at Stromness.

The McCarthy brothers from Lower Cove (Head busts in Kinsale)

 In his book Shackleton refers to the Cork man ‘’McCarthy, the best and most efficient of the sailors. The two men (McNeish & Vincent on South Georgia) were not capable of managing for themselves and McCarthy must stay to look after them’’  

All six men returned to Elephant Island to rescue the remaining 22 crew members. Only three weeks after returning, McCarthy enlisted as a seaman in the Royal Navy in WW1. Tragically he was killed when his ship was torpedoed off the south coast of Ireland, probably not too far from where he was born in Lower Cove. He was the first of the 28 crew of the Endurance to die. 

Laura in Lower Cove, who pointed me in the right direction

Back in 2026 on Lower Cove, I get chatting to Laura who is here with her children at the beach. I really hoped that there was a coastal trail because it was a long downhill run to get here and I don’t fancy climbing up that way again! Laura assures me that there is a way to stay by the shore. To reach the coastal trail I almost have to go into someone’s garden, but I quickly find it. 

Coastal path from Lower Cove to Summer Cove

What a beautiful path. It brings me up to Middle Cove, then Summer Cove and finally to the impressive Charles Fort. The fort was built in 1682 but just eight years later in 1690 it was attacked by William of Orange who broke through the Jacobite Garrison after a thirteen-day siege. 

Charles Fort, near KInsale

I carry on along the coast, taking the ‘Scilly Walk’ which is such a scenic way to enter Kinsale. I am feeling the heat, and my main priority is to get some water. I’m like a car needing fuel so I fill up again at a shop and run along the river in the town, heading SW. 

It’s quite windy crossing the bridge but it’s a warm breeze. On the other side of the river, I run all the way down to James Fort and do a loop around the headland. 

Near the bridge over Kinsale

This smaller fort was built on the original site of what was called ‘Castle Ny Parke’ and held by the Spanish before the ‘Battle of Kinsale’ in 1601. The Spanish and Irish lost the famous battle against the British. Losing Kinsale became a turning point for the Irish way of life. The Gaelic aristocracy fled to continental Europe, known as ‘The Flight of the Earls’. Their intention was to raise an army in Europe and return to Ireland, but this never happened. 

Brian & Maureen at James Fort
Brian pointing the way to my finish line at Jarley's Cove

Back in 2026 I meet Maureen & Brian at James Fort. The three of us then walk together to my finish point at the beautiful Dock Beach, sometimes called Jarley’s Cove. It’s the perfect place to complete Stage 142.

My finish line at Dock Beach/Jarley's Cove


   

Stage 143: Co. Cork: Carrigaline to Roberts Cove: Friday 10 July 2026: 35.4km or 22miles:

‘The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools’ Thucydides (saw this at ‘Wyrd Tattoo’, Carrigaline) 

Breakfast at the Carrigaline Court Hotel starts at 7.00am so I sneak out of our room and make my way downstairs, ordering poached eggs and toast. Soon I’m running along the greenway to Crosshaven, which was the old railway line that ran from 1904 to 1932. It’s another scorcher of a day but at least there’s some shade by the river. 

Carrigaline to Crosshaven Greenway

Once I reach the town, I buy some water and continue along the coast. Crosshaven translates as ‘Bun an Tabhairne’ which means mouth of the river Sabhrann. The village is significant in two ways. It was mentioned twice in James Joyce Ulysses, and it is home to the ‘Royal Cork Yacht Club’ which holds the title of the oldest yacht club in the world. Crosshaven reminds me a little bit of Bangor, where I live.

Crosshaven

I follow the coastal lane and a rough track after that. At a basketball court I’m able to take another narrow path that takes me down onto Graball Bay beach. It is a rocky shoreline, but I continue running until I reach a white building which was once used as a changing area for bathers.

'Changing Rooms' at Graball Bay

Graball Bay

Swimming galas used to take place here from 1939 to 1950 organised by Sunday’s Well and Dolphin Swim Clubs. Even though it’s a beautiful morning it is still strange to imagine swimming competitions taking place here on this rocky strand. 

Climbing up to Cliff Path near Crosshaven

I climb up steps to leave the beach and then run along a very narrow cliff path. Part of it is overgrown but I continue to the end. I’m able to follow a road uphill where I join a trail and I pass St Matthews Church or ‘Tempeall Bride’. The church was built in 1778 but there is evidence of this being a place of worship since the 1300’s. It is such a beautiful hillside and countryside location for a church.

St Mattthew's Church

It’s still tricky getting from here to Myrtleville. When I do reach the village, I run down to the beach and celebrate by taking off my shoes and socks and going for a welcome paddle in the sea. I’m convinced that salt water and seaweed are good for the feet.  

I follow the coast road to Fountainstown Beach. Lots of people enjoying the warm weather here too. I had read that the village's Pitch and Putt Club is sometimes considered to be the home of the sport's first ever course. It reminds me of my brother Sean who died much too young. He was one of Galway’s and Ireland’s greatest players back in the 1970s and 1980. Pitch & Putt was really the poor man’s game of golf and invented here in Fountainstown. In 1945 nine teams competed in the first ever competition. Really the World Cup of Pitch & Putt, except all the competitors were from Co. Cork. 

Fountainstown, Co. Cork

I’m running out of water but there’s a long queue at the mobile kiosk in Fountainstown. I continue running. I know that there is a shop at Minane Bridge which is only 8k away, so I’ll have to wait a while longer. It is a pity that there isn’t a bridge here at Ringabella Creek over the narrow inlet to Ringabella. I reckon it would have saved me about 14k. 

My phone rings. It’s Maureen and she says that she can meet me at Minane Bridge which gives me a boost. When I finally arrive, I sit with Maureen & Brian at the picnic tables. It’s only 7.5k of a drive from Carrigaline to here but it has taken me 26k by the coast. The village is called Tracton and there is evidence that over 800 years ago monks travelled from Wales to establish an Abbey here. 

Brian and Maureen at Minane Bridge

I continue east, take a left at Annacariga and head down towards Ringabella. I’m running down the hill when a car slowly comes up beside me. I get chatting to a man called Brian and his daughter Alanna who live nearby. They invite me to their house where I gulp down more water. They also kindly make a donation to my special schools’ charity. 

Alanna & Brian near Ringabella, Co. Cork

I leave them and backtrack up the hill and manoeuvre my way across some country lanes. It’s been a long morning but shortly I arrive at Roberts Cove.  

 

 

 

Stage 144: Co. Cork: Carrigaline to Cork City: Sunday 12 July 2026: 42.3km or 26.3miles: 

 "You don't have to sell Cork to me. To me it's the most important city in the world" Frank O’Connor, Cork’s famous writer

I took a break from coastal running yesterday (Saturday) but couldn't resist doing a parkrun in Cork City. 

At parkrun in Cork City

As it is Sunday today, breakfast at the Carrigaline Court Hotel is served a little later but still I’m ready to run at 8.00am. I fill up my water bottle and hit the road. Carrigaline is a satellite town of Cork City, just 12k away but I strictly follow the coast. Years ago, it used to be a rural village, ‘Carraig Ui Leighin’ – rock of Leighin. I follow Church Road and then cross into Carrigaline Duck Pond. There’s a trail marked ‘Mallard Walk’ which keeps me by the Owenboy river for a while. What a lovely start to today’s run on such a beautiful morning. Soon I join the R613. At Coolmore I meet a man who tells me that there is no access to the coast, so I continue along the road. However, I do take the long and winding lane all the way down to ‘Curraghbinny Wood’. It was worth it though as in the forest I found a perfect trail to run on. It makes such a difference being on a soft wooded path in the shade. It gave me a boost and afterwards I didn’t find the long run up the hill too difficult.

Bridge from Ringaskiddy to Haulbowline Island

Back on the R613 I loop around to Ringaskiddy. This area is not as industrial as I thought it would be. Maybe it is quieter because it’s a Sunday. I cross the bridge to reach ‘Haulbowline Island’. There is a beautiful wee park on the island and even better than that, I spot a coffee/drinks kiosk. I had already run 18k today, so I was getting very thirsty and, in any case it’s time for a break. I order a coffee along with my two bottles of water. The kiosk is called ‘The Beanie Box’ and I get chatting to a lovely girl called Laura.

Laura at the Beanie Box on Haulbowline Island

I’m so close to Cobh from here and I can see the coloured buildings across the harbour. Also, Spike Island is nearby where there was once a monastery. Later it became a prison and was once the largest jail in the world. That was around the time of the Famine when understandably, crime increased as starving people were committing crimes just to stay alive. Also, Australia was refusing to take Irish convicts, so the prison population of Spike Island increased.

View of Cobh from Haulbowline Island

I leave Haulbowline Island and Ringaskiddy - and continue west. I thought I could run through Raffeen Creek Golf Course, but some friendly golfers there told me that there was no way through. They pointed me towards a group of trees where they advised that I could climb over a wall and get back onto the road. However, when I came to the wall, I realised it was much higher than myself. It reminded me of Frank O’Connor’s memoir ‘An Only Child’. He talks about when he was a young boy and he and his friends would make their way across countryside. If they came to a high wall they would throw their hats over first. Then they had no choice but to climb over. I felt the same even if I wasn’t confident enough to throw my North Down AC cap over first. Luckily for me there was a tree near the wall, that I used to help me climb over.

On the other side of the wall was Curragh Hill Road. Shortly, I spot what looks like an old village in Raffeen. There was once a mill here and even a train station when trains ran from Cork City to Passage West.

I join the busier R610 and soon reach Monkstown. Obviously, the town originated from a monastic settlement but today there is no evidence of any abbey or priory. However, it was mentioned in ‘Taxation of Pope Nicholas as early as 1291. Yes imagine 735 years ago.

Monkstown Castle was built in the 1630’s by Anastasia Archdeacon as a surprise gift for her husband, John Archdeacon, who was a naval officer. While John was abroad, Anastasia managed the project and made sure she stayed within a tight budget, paying wages at rates of half a penny per day, which even in the 17th century wasn’t a lot of money. The castle then became known as ‘The Four Penny Castle’. Anastacia had it all completed and was ready to surprise her husband John when he returned from his travels. He sailed into Cork Harbour but mistook the new structure for an enemy fortification and fired a cannonball at it, damaging the castle. We can only imagine what poor Anastasia made of this. I reckon there were no more surprises for John.

At Passage West Ferry Crossing

I follow the coast and come to Passage West or known locally as ‘Passage’. In 1887 the traveller, John Bartholomew said Passage West ‘is situated amid fine scenery and resorted to fine bathing’. Not sure about the bathing part!

A ferry goes from here across to Cobh all day and this reminds me of that beautiful song written and recorded by John Spillane. He only wrote it a few years ago, but it is song of the famine years. My favourite version is a collaboration of two groups of singers, Dervish (from Sligo) and an American duo, called the Indigo Girls.  

‘I met my love in Passage West the sun was sinking down to rest. We wandered down by Chapel Square and there was magic in the air’

After Passage West, there is a proper Greenway along the dismantled railway line. Therefore it's now a traffic free run all the way to Pairc Ui Chaoimh. Still a long way to go though. I try to take a detour down to Hop Island but there is no access onto it. I then cross Black Bridge (or Sunners Bridge), over the Douglas River. 

Greenway from Passage West to Cork City

I don’t realise that the Greenway takes an inland route but soon I’m back running along the river again. (I did get time later in the week to visit Blackrock Castle to meet, Orla Kelly the publisher of my two books)

With Orla Kelly, publisher of my two books

Great to finally spot my finish line of Pairc Ui Chaoimh. I run around the stadium to extend today’s run to a proper marathon distance. Shortly Maureen and Brian arrive, and we settle into our Airbnb in nearby Barrington’s Avenue in Blackrock.

Pairc Ui Chaomh - today's finish line


 

 

Stage 145: Co. Cork: Cork City to Cobh: Wednesday 15 July 2026: 35.7km or 22.2miles:

‘Where I sported and played neath each green leafy shade on the banks of my own lovely Lee’ by James Falconer and Dick Forbes

I’m delighted to have someone running with me today, especially as I’ve completed the last sixteen stages on my own. My companion is Colm, the son of Siobhan Bridgeman who is chairperson of the PTA at St Gabriels Special School in Cork. Remember I’m now supporting St Gabriels and any profits from my future book (Munster Coastal Run) will go to this special school. Siobhan’s other son, Rory is a student there, so it is a good connection that Rory’s brother, Colm is running with me today.

With Colm by the River Lee

The heatwave continues so it makes sense for Colm and I arrange to meet early, 8.00am at Pairc Ui Chaoimh GAA stadium. The game of hurling is the main sport in Cork City and the surrounding area. Cork have been All Ireland champions thirty times, but they are going through a slight famine at the moment. The hurling team have not won the title since 2005. Their supporters are so dedicated, and I was proud to be in Croke Park earlier this month when they filled that stadium for the Semi-Final. Unfortunately for them they were beaten by Galway (but fortunate for me as I am a Galwegian!)

At Albert Quay we have to cross the river twice as it separates into two sections. The city itself was founded over 1,400 years ago when a monk called Finbar walked the length of the River Lee (90km long), from Gougane Barra to Cork City. It sounds like another crazy adventure. Finbar then founded a monastery in a marshy land full of islands, which is now Cork.   

The city brings back memories of a poem I learned in school called ‘The Bells of Shandon’. It was written almost 200 years ago in 1832 by Francis Mahony, who was known as Father Prout. Shandon Church is now the oldest church that is still in use in Cork City. I just love the opening line of this poem, so much love and longing in that one sentence.

With deep affection and recollection, I often think of those Shandon bells,

Rowers on River Lee, Cork City

Back to July 2026. Colm and I try to run along the Tivoli Dock area, but a security man stops us. We keep running as far as a roundabout and then with Colm’s local knowledge we are able to reach a Greenway. We soon make our way down to ‘Little Island’. Lucky for me Colm used to work here so he knows the area quite well. and even better, he is aware of a Spar Shop where we can fill up with water.

We leave Little Island, get back onto a Greenway and pass the village of Glounthaune. If I didn’t have Colm with me, I might have stayed on the Greenway all the way to Midleton. Instead, we get back onto the main road and soon we reach ‘Fota Island’.

With Colm on Foto Island

We enter the complex at the Golf Course entrance. I thought we could just circle the island, but there are ‘no entry’ signs around the golfing area. Lots of shade in here though which we both welcome. We do eventually exit on the southern side of the island. Later Maureen, Brian and I went back to see the Wildlife Park and had a lovely afternoon. I think Brian was impressed with the giraffes and zebras and we also had a trip on the big Ferris Wheel.

Foto Island with Giraffe & Ferris Wheel
Soon Colm and I cross over the channel onto ‘Great Island’. We spot the impressive Belvelly Castle. It’s originally from the 14th century but it’s been restored beautifully in the last 10 years.

The next few miles were quite difficult running on the main road against some heavy traffic. Colm and I are so glad to see a footpath as we get closer to Cobh. Previously, I had been to the town a few times with my son Matthew to watch him play tennis at Rushbrooke, so it was a little bit familiar.

Cobh is famous as the last port of call for the Titanic in 1912. The town was called Queenstown in those days and 123 passengers embarked on the ship here. 113 of these were third class passengers emigrating to America. In fact, it is estimated that 2.5 million Irish emigrants departed from Cobh. 

Annie Moore & brothers. Cobh, Co. Cork

We spot a famous statue here of Annie Moore with her young brothers Anthony and Philip. They left Cobh on 20 December 1891 and when they arrived in America on 1st January 1892, they became the first people to be processed through the new ‘Immigration Inspection Station’ at Ellis Island in New York harbour. Annie was given a gold coin worth 10 dollars from the commissioner of the island. Her parents had already been in New York for a couple of years and the reunited family settled in Lower Manhattan at 32 Monroe Street. 

With Siobhan, PTA Chairperson of St Gabriel's with her two sons, Colm and Rory  

We had arranged to meet Colm’s Mum, Siobhan here with her special son, Rory. Siobhan is the chairperson of St. Gabriels PTA, and I will continue to support this Special School on my adventure. Also, it was apt that our finish point today was at the statue of Ireland’s best female athlete, Sonia O’Sullivan who was born in Cobh. Among her many achievements, Sonia won the gold medal at the 5,000 metres at the 1995 World Championships.

At Sonia O'Sullivan Statue in Cobh


  

 

Stage 146: Co. Cork: Cobh to Midleton: Thursday 14 July 2026: 35.5km or 22.1miles:

‘Through the sea you cut a path, gracefully without hesitation. The largest ship ever built, no one could guess your fatal destination’’ HayleyV18

It’s another early start for me. I walk from our Airbnb into Cork City’s Kent Station, enjoying the early morning sunshine. I then take the 7.00am train to Cobh. I’m looking out the window and thinking that it is a pity there is no greenway or path that would run alongside the railway line. Once I reach Cobh, I call to a local shop to get some water. It’s going to be another scorcher of a day.

Annie Moore in front of huge passenger liner

The Cathedral of St Colman towers over the town and is the tallest church in Ireland with a high steeple measuring 91 metres tall. Lots of hills as I leave the town and head east. 

St Colman's Cathedral, Cobh

There isn’t really a coastal road or path – so I take a few cul-de-sac roads, one leading down to the ‘Titanic Memorial Garden’. I was surprised here to see a memorial stone dedicated to Bruce Ismay. He was Chairman of the White Star Line and had authorised the reduction in the number of lifeboats on the Titanic from 48 to 16. Ismay survived the sinking by getting on the last lifeboat, so all in all I don’t think he was a very popular man.


At a small roundabout I take a right turn and reach Cuskinny Nature Reserve which is owned by Birdwatch Ireland and by the aptly named, Bird family. I remembered that the RTE Dawn Chorus on 3rd May had played from here for seven hours; an orchestra of birds as my friend Roisin would have called it. At Cuskinny Bay, even though it’s only 9.00am there are already people swimming in the sea.

I stick to the coast and after a few miles, I make my way down to Glenmore Beach. I’m then able to follow a rough path, sometimes very narrow and then along a rutted lane (with no signage to help me). Eventually I’m happy to get to Marlogue Woods. Nice to be on a forest trail again; also, good to be running in the shade in this heat. I reach the very southeast corner of Great Island, so all I have to now is make my way up to the northern shore, which is referred to by locals as, ‘the back end of the Island’

Glenmore Bay, Co. Cork

It feels much more straightforward to be running on this side as the road hugs the coast. I take a break along here at 10.00am as my publisher, Orla Kelly has arranged a radio chat for me on 96FM, which seems to be the main local station in Co. Cork. It’s a relaxing interview with PJ Coogan as I sit on a wall by the shore protected by the shade of a big sycamore tree. Later the station puts up a post about my adventure on its website ‘’Every step for St Gabriels Special School – an extraordinary 7,000km challenge is raising funds for special schools across Ireland’’ and links in the fundraising page   www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/maureen-oboyle

Once I leave Great Island, I have to join the busy R624 for a few kilometres. Shortly though I take a right turn onto the L3619 signposted Rossmore. Unfortunately, I have not passed any shops all morning and now I’ve beginning to suffer. I badly need a drink. I stop a lady outside her house and ask her to fill up my two water containers. I gulp one bottle down and save the other for the last few miles. I’m glad I did as it seems to be taking me a long time to reach the town. I suppose all the running over the last few days is catching up on me, so it's walk..... drink water..... run ...as I struggle through to my finish line. Finally, I reach today’s destination, Midleton in east Co. Cork.

And so we leave tropical Co. Cork and head back up north again, stopping at the 'Rock of Cashel' on our way back home.

Rock of Cashel, Co. Tipperary


No comments:

Post a Comment