Saturday 17 August 2024

Stage 98: Co. Clare: Labasheeda to Ennis: Saturday 17 August 2024: 43.1km or 26.8miles

“Show people that the greatest glory lies, not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.” Rhys McClenaghan- Gold Medal winner at Paris Olympics


This was yet another run that I completed with the sea on my left. I was able to get the train from Oranmore to Ennis and run from there. An early start in Galway with my alarm set for 5.00am to give me time for breakfast and a short (one mile) run to the station. Not too many passengers on the train so a relaxing way to travel.

Waiting for the 6.22am train from Oranmore to Ennis

From Ennis Station I made my way to Clarecastle, taking a right turn in the village and following a sign for the ‘Mid Clare Way.’ In Irish the route is called ‘Sli na Mearacan’ which translates as the foxglove way. These pink or purple foxglove flowers (Digitalis Purpurea) are found all over Clare especially in the rocky Burren area. The ‘Mid Clare Way’ is a 148km walk that covers a circular area in the county. Today I am only running on a short section of it before I join the main A473 road.

Along ‘Sli na Mearacan’ I pass a few runners going in the opposite direction. It turns out that they are part of Crusaders Running Club in Ennis and they’re training for the Dublin Marathon. I get talking to a lady called Edel who is standing by her car acting as a helper, giving out water and jelly babies to her runners (I get some too!). 

Meeting Edel from Ennis Crusaders

It turns out that the Ennis Crusaders work closely with special needs children which fits in well with my coastal run that I’m doing for Rosedale Special School in Galway. I continue on the ‘Mid Clare Way’ along by Islandmagrath. This was once a flooded area but now there is a lot of reclaimed land here on the estuaries of the Shannon and the Fergus.  

Two famous Clare people, Tony Kelly & Roisin Howley

My phone rings - it's Roisin from Kilfenora and great news! She's driven to Clarecastle and is going to join me on her bike. I meet Roisin as I arrive back on the R473. Great to have such lovely company and shortly we arrive in Ballynacally. It translates as Baile na Cailleadh, the nuns land, because the village once belonged to the sisters of Killone Convent. Luckily for us there is a café here in Ballynacally. It is 10.00am and I’m getting hungry, so we order coffee and scones.

Well done Ballynacally School - this picture was in the Cafe

With Roisin in Ballynacally

Nearby and just off the shore is Deer Island. It is sometimes called Inishmore as it’s the largest island in the Shannon Estuary. According to the 1901 census, 50 people lived here and in 1841 there were 133 inhabitants. In the 1960’s the islanders refused to pay property rates. The residents had strong views and also objected to electricity being introduced in 1968. I don’t think anybody lives permanently on the island anymore.

We continue south passing through Kildysert (church of the deserted place) and after another 2km we come to a crossroads and take a left, signposted Inishmurray Quay. Roisin (still on her bike) and me (running) make our way down to the pier.

I stopped to chat and give these guys a hand!

Cahercon House: I thought we could continue along a trail to get to the House but there’s a big gate blocking our way. Originally the Kilrush Vandeleurs owned the 60-bedroom Georgian mansion but sold it to the ‘Missionary Society of St Columban’ who passed it on to the Salesian Sisters. They turned it into a boarding school for girls. The school closed in 2002, and the nuns sold it to the Whelan Group for €1million. The CEO Pat Whelan wanted to set up an explosives factory on the land but ran into some opposition. In any case his company was liquidated, which is probably a good term to describe the closure of an explosive business. 

Louise Brown & Roisin Brown-Howley

Down at Inishmurray Quay we get talking to a lady called Louise Brown (not to be confused with the first test tube baby, she told us!) who explained that new owners are going to develop Cahercon House and gardens into a tourist centre with nice walks along the Shannon shore. However, she recommended we should not try to climb the gate to access the house. She gave us another alternative option at the top of the road. From the crossroads Louise suggested we take the road inland signposted ‘Ceapach na Bhfearnog’ (land of the young man). I should point out to the ‘Coastal Audit Committee’ that in the interests of safety this inner-road option is sometimes allowable for me, especially if it turns out to be a longer way around! 
Sign on wall said 'Daisy House' 

It was a good suggestion and a much quieter road to run on. Also, this diversion rewarded Roisin and I with a visit to a townland called Rusheen (or ‘An Roisin’). Maybe everyone has a place somewhere in the world called after them! We don’t actually go all the way to Rusheen but instead follow a SW route and after about 4km at Effernan we take a left turn back down to rejoin the coastal road.

Where all the Roisins come from

On quiet road near townland of Efernan

Roisin spots a ship in the Shannon Estuary and is able to check on-line that its coming from Holland and heading to Aughinish Alumina which we can now see clearly across the river. Timewise all is going according to plan. Roisin and I even have time to pause on the coast. We see a long-legged heron and the white head of a herring gull in the shallow water. The silence is only broken by the call of a lone curlew flying across the shore. We continue and it doesn’t take us long to reach Labasheeda, although I didn't like that hill at the end! 

Welcoming party at Labasheeda Pier

We have our own personal welcoming committee of four to meet us there, Maureen, Brian, Aideen (Maureen’s sister) and Hoppy (Maureen’s friend). Today we can feel a bit of a buzz in the normally peaceful Labasheeda as there is a set dancing festival going on. Luckily for me, I’m exempt from these activities after my long run. Instead, we all head down to the beautiful wee harbour on the banks of the Shannon.
Todays finish line: Labasheeda on the Shannon Estuary
             
How Labasheeda got its name



No comments:

Post a Comment